ISO 50001 is an Energy Management System certificate that provides a framework for establishing best practice energy management to organisations. The standard enables organisations to establish a framework necessary to improve energy performance, including energy efficiency, use, and consumption.
The ISO 50001 framework outlines the requirements for organisations to:
· Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy
· Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy
· Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
· Measure the results
· Review how well the policy works
· Continually improve energy management.
ISO 50001 is applicable to organisations both large and small, irrespective of geographical, cultural or social conditions. The standard has been structured to be aligned with other popular industry management system standards, so it is possible to integrate an energy management system (EnMS) with your existing management systems.
Since the publication of ISO 50001 in June 2011, the ISO panel of energy management experts have been working on a suite of documents providing additional guidance on various aspects of ISO 50001. These complementary standards are:
1. ISO 50002 Energy audits - Requirements with guidance for use.
2. ISO 50003 Energy management systems — Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of energy management systems.
3. ISO 50004 Energy management systems — Guidance for the implementation, maintenance and improvement of an energy management system.
4. ISO 50006 Energy management systems — Measuring energy performance using energy baselines (EnB) and energy performance indicators (EnPI) — General principles and guidance.
5. ISO 50015 Energy management systems — Measurement and verification of energy performance of organisations — General principles and guidance.
Check back here next week for Part 2 where we break down the different ISO standards for energy and how they work together.
If your organisation would like help with meeting ISO 50002 requirements contact Glas Eireann Solutions today on +353 61 633298 or visit us at www.glaseireann.com.